Rob Dressel got his start in CG in 1993, doing commercials at a small house in Hollywood called Sidley Wright MotionWorks. A year later he started working in visual effects at Dream Quest Images which was later bought by Disney and became The Secret Lab. There Rob worked on many films like Crimson Tide, Deep Rising, Armageddon, Mighty Joe Young, 102 Dalmatians and Reign of Fire eventually becoming a supervising animator and creature supervisor.
He left Disney to be the animation supervisor on Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow which, because of having to previs the entire film, opened the world of cinematography to him. This new passion led Rob to continue working in live action previs at Unit Eleven LLC. There he worked on Transformers 1 and 2 as well as Hancock. In 2008 Rob returned to Disney to become the layout supervisor for Prep and Landing at Walt Disney Animation Studios. Layout was the ultimate job for cinematic storytelling.
- Prep & Landing (2009): cinematographer
- Tangled (2010): layout artist
- Prep & Landing: Operation: Secret Santa (2010): cinematographer
- The Ballad of Nessie (2011): cgi artist
- Wreck-It Ralph (film) (2012): layout supervisor
- Big Hero 6 (2014): director of cinematography and departmental leadership
- Moana (film) (2016): director of cinematography
- Gone Fishing (2017): director of cinematography
- Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018): layout supervisor
- Raya and the Last Dragon (2021): director of cinematography